Do you believe that the Earth is four.5 billion years previous in accordance with science, or 6000 years previous in response to the Bible? initially appeared on Quora: the place to gain and share data, empowering folks to be taught from others and higher perceive the world.
Reply by C Stuart Hardwick, Award-Successful Scifi Creator, on Quora:
The Earth solidified 4.Fifty four billion years in the past, plus or minus 1%. That’s a reality, and if your perception is just not aligned to this reality, then you’re what we name “wrong.” This age is arrived at by several cross-checking strains of proof, but the nice antiquity of the Earth has been obvious for a lot of human historical past. Catalytic Reforming Equipment True, scientific progress repeatedly discovered our home to be much older than previously suspected, however the widespread view that the planet is only some thousand years old is relatively new, and has no foundation in both fact or scripture. The 6,000 year age was arrived at by James Ussher, a seventeenth century Irish Archbishop who counted up estimates of the ages of Abraham’s household listed in the Old Testomony and calculated that the creation started (on the Julian calendar) on Saturday, October 22, 4004 BC, at 6 pm. Actually. Usher made a variety of assumptions, selected to disregard inconsistencies within even these scriptural sources recognized at that time, and was unaware of certain, now obvious translation points, importantly together with the way in which the Babylonians counted, but that’s beside the purpose. As William Henry Green wrote, “The Scriptures furnish no data for a chronological computation previous to the life of Abraham; and the Mosaic data do not repair and weren’t supposed to fix the exact date both of the Flood or of the creation of the world.” In other words, even when Ussher’s calculation have been correct (it isn’t) it might solely tell us when Abraham lived, not when the world was made. However even this doesn’t matter, for as Thomas Paine reminded us, the only revelation we are able to really trust is the creation itself. When nature disagrees with scripture, scripture must necessarily be fallacious. Nature tells us Ussher was off by six orders of magnitude. – The Earth formed a persistent solid surface four.54 billion years in the past.
– Life appeared no lower than three.Eight billion years ago.
– A billion years later, cyanobacteria started producing oxygen as a waste product, and this began precipitating iron dissolved in the oceans into the deposits we now quarry for ore.
– Half a billion years later, oxygen began to accumulate in the ambiance, and in another half billion, rose excessive enough to trigger an ecological collapse and rebalancing by which plants and animals got here to dominate the biosphere.
– By half a billion years ago, complicated life had unfold by way of the ocean and diversified into all the fundamental physique plans that nonetheless exist at present (and rather a lot that do not).
– Easy swimmers gave rise to armored swimmers, then bony fish, tetrapods, amphibians, reptiles, and dinosaurs–all built on the same basic physique shape.
– Virtually all of the Earth’s known petroleum was formed less than 160 million years ago. Oil formed before that (from bacteria and plankton), however few older deposits have been protected from geologic processes that destroy hydrocarbons. Half of all identified reserves are lower than sixty five million years old.
– By this time, mammals had appeared and a few had been effectively on their technique to evolving into whales.
– Our linneage break up off from the other apes about 5.5 million years in the past. We’ve gone by roughly twenty species since then (though the idea of species is our own invention).
– Neanderthals appeared in Europe about a quarter million years in the past. If they were alive at this time, they might in all probability run for congress (that’s not an insult). They might even do higher than these now in Congress (that’s).
– Varied teams of people started domesticating crops and animals between 16,000 and 8,000 years ago, which is why most younger Earth wackados now argue for an Earth around 10,000 years previous instead of Ussher’s more and more ridiculous 6,000.
However here is the factor, the dendrochronologic file–last I checked–now goes back 12,000 years in some parts of the world. You do not belief radiometric dating? Wonderful. Purchase a magnifying class and a box of Twinkies and visit a dendro lab. Tree rings type a novel fingerprint as trees across a area are exposed to comparable conditions. Because of this, overlapping ring patterns from living, useless, and fossilized trees might be lined up to construct continuous series stretching again through hundreds and 1000’s of years. 12,000 and counting. No fancy science required. And at a sure level, the dendro dates line up with ocean core dates and pack ice dates, each of which return a whole bunch of 1000’s of years–however that might take somewhat scientific know how. Simpler are easy geologic strata: That is the Grand Canyon: These traces are sedimentation lines that form 40 major layers spanning 2 billion years of deposition. Okay, you might want a degree in geology to tell desert sand deposition from silt and to follow the sequence around the West to account for disconformities, however even a informal, unbiased evaluation will convince you totally of two issues: 1) The canyon was laid down by erosion by way of ancient sediments, not minimize by any flood, and a pair of) those sediments have been laid down over many, many, many tens of millions of years. And that is just scratching the surface, so to speak. Even the Pope knows the Earth is four.54 billion years previous. Whenever you settle for it and start learning the info, you will uncover something necessary. A lot of these loudly proclaiming a younger Earth these days should unavoidably perceive how far their claims are from what the Earth actually tells us–however they carry on saying it anyway, and promoting books and lecture tickets. I ponder why they might do this? This query originally appeared on Quora. the place to gain and share information, empowering people to learn from others and higher understand the world. You possibly can comply with Quora on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+.
Evolution: What is an unbiased resource for Creationism vs. evolution?
Earth: What would occur if a rocky planet the scale of Earth collided with Jupiter?
Earth Science: Is Earth a dying planet?